Monday, January 24, 2011

How to find my letters

Although my comments about my letters will be posted here, the letters themselves can't be.  [No jpg. pdf or Word files can be attached.]  However,  I will use a modern technique, namely Dropbox, to point you to them.  Of course, I wrote my letters by hand in German, which only some of you can understand.  (My great-grandson, Benjamin, who is managing this blog for me is, at best, mediocre in his understanding of German.) 
To make matters worse for most of you, I wrote almost all of my letters in a script [perhaps Suetterlin or Regent] that even most Germans under the age of 60 or 70 can no longer read.  However, a group of Germans has generously volunteered to transcribe my letters, and those transcriptions will also be available here.
Finally, for those of you who don't understand German, crude translations of my letters, using Google Translate, will be provided.  I will be grateful to any of you who can then supply a better translation, which I would then gladly also make available on this blog.
To see how this works, here are the links to my most recently transcribed letters, which I wrote to "Lonchen."  Her real name is Leonie, who is the wife of George, one of my grandsons.  (That is why I signed the letters, "Grossmama.")  The other people mentioned in these two letters are mostly family, and I'll introduce them to you in good time.  I should add that there is nothing of great importance reported in these sample letters (nor in many others), and I use them here just for example. 


http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12230734/Clara-Leonie%201937-12-04%20tran.doc
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12230734/Clara-Leonie%201937-12-08%20tran.doc


In these files, the original letter and transcription are shown on facing pages (what some of you call a "pony"), with the translation following.  For many earlier letters, the originals, transcriptions, and translations are in separate files. 
I hope that you can access the letters without a problem and that you come to enjoy reading them and, in time, getting to know me and my family.


Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment